“For Sale. Baby Shoes. Never worn.” – Ernest Hemingway
On the topic of Micro Fiction, let’s get as short as we can possibly get. Ernest Hemingway’s short story ran six words. You have ten to get yours right in the Very Short Story Contest.
- In their own words: “It may be apocryphal, but the story goes that Ernest Hemingway won a bet by writing a short story that ran fewer than ten words…We would like to make a similar bet with you. Write a great short story in ten words or fewer.”
- Genres they accept: Any
- Word count limit: 10 words. Yep, you read that right.
- Number of Entries I can submit: Just one, please.
- Entry Fee: None!
- Prize: Winner receives a free Gotham ten-week workshop (excludes select premium classes.)
- Deadline: May 16, 2016 (EST)
They’ve got a list of finalists from last year you can read here to get some ideas going. Good luck!